News

Home / NewsPage 2


December Newsletter

  Posted by HHAdmin
  Leave a Comment

2016.12 Newsletter






meeting update, rescheduled for November 15, 2016, same agenda

  Posted by HHAdmin
  Leave a Comment






November 9, 2016 HHA Board meeting agenda

  Posted by HHAdmin
  Leave a Comment

Agenda, November 9, 2016
Location: Beachwood Drive
Call to Order
Introduction of guests:
Old Business:
Approval September Minutes
Approval September Treasurer’s Report
Old business
Crime report, LAPD
Hollywoodland servicemark violation, You Tube sponsored by Chamber with Dick Van Dyke
18 wheel semi- trucks, update
Welcome packet assembling, distribution,
Trademark recommendations
User manual Village Green
Village Green electrical,
Village cameras update
6068 Mulholland HWY permit update/meeting
Meeting August 15, follow up
Wildlife preserve?
Restoration proposal historic stairs,
Policy, standing rule motion/discussion
Jeanne asked if Griffith Park receives federal grant money loopholes that can force closure?
Dope on a Rope
Dash Bus update
17. RAP Circulation Plan appeal
18. Ranch website
19. Celebrate 25 years Specific Plan , 2017
Committee Reports:
President’s message/report
Safety, Evacuation plan
Communications
Special Events
Zoning, Public Works
Beautification
Trademarks/merchandise
History,Archiving
Nominating committee
HUNC
Federation of Hillsides Canyons
City Hall actions/issues
Membership
Other
New Business

Holiday decor?Food Drive?
Holiday Craft Fair, Yvonne, Dec. 11
Village sewer collapse
Dot, PPD in Los Feliz by Greek
Adjourn






October Newsletter

  Posted by HHAdmin
  Leave a Comment

2016.10 Newsletter_pdf






CD4 Response to Seven Hollywoodland Issues

  Posted by HHAdmin
  Leave a Comment

On October 27 the HHA asked for clarification and a timeline from CD4 on seven important issues. They are as follows:

  • Traffic tourist/ hiker issue when will permanent safety solutions be presented and implemented?
  • Support or non support of the building and safety appeal of 6068 Mulholland?
  • Support or nonsupport of rap circulation appeal
  • Support or nonsupport for requiring an EIR for all of unauthorized openings, alteration vistas etc.  created in the HGP       area of Griffith park
  • Support or non support of restoration of trees removed surrounding the Lake Hollywood Reservoir  
  • Support or nonsupport of sign use abuse, ie., dope on a rope 

Following is the response from Sarah Dusseault, Chief of Staff to Councilman Ryu:

  • As to the timeline for the first, for all the reasons that we have discussed, we need more information on timelines etc in order to lay that out.
  • 6068 Mullholland – Julia is investigating.  We don’t have a timeline on this until the LADBS investigations are complete.
  • RAP appeal, we will need to read through your grounds for appeal.  We were not aware that you had planned to file one.  As you are aware, the CM has already supported the RAP plan, so he would need new information in order to change his position.
  • The EIR question – is a CEQA review is not necessarily an EIR which could costs millions it may be a MND.  We have already asked RAP to have their lawyers commence work.  We have asked RAP for a timeline.  Keep in mind, according to the city attorney they cannot work on anything, literally anything, related to the Griffith Park Action plan while your appeal is in consideration, so that any overlap of these two issues will have to be separated for now.
  • We have always supported restoration of the trees.  DWP is working on a sustainable plan for replacement and healthy growth.  We are working with them on this important issue.
  • I don’t know what you mean by support or non-support of sign use abuse?  Do you mean in general or for the FAA case?  If I am clear on the issue, the answer is that we always support prosecution and action against trespassers/pranksters/illegal commercial use.   As you heard first hand from the neighborhood prosecutor, he tries to prosecute all of the referrals we send him, including the latest.  We think its great that you also filed with FAA.





Hollywoodland Specific Plan meeting, 11/10/2016

  Posted by HHAdmin
  Leave a Comment

Project review for 6201 Mulholland HWY.  6:00 PM 2700 N. Beachwood Drive






September 2016 Board Minutes

  Posted by HHAdmin
  Leave a Comment

09.12.2016 Minutes pdf






October 11, 2016 Agenda

  Posted by HHAdmin
  Leave a Comment

Hollywoodland Homeowners Association Agenda October 11, 2016, 7:30 PM
Location: pls email for location

Call to Order
Introduction of guests:
Old Business:
Approval September Minutes
Approval September Treasurer’s Report
Old business
Crime report, LAPD
18 wheel semi- trucks, update
Welcome packet assembling, distribution,
Trademark recommendations
User manual Village Green
Village Green electrical,
Village cameras update
6068 Mulholland HWY permit update/meeting
Mission Statement/press kit?
Meeting August 15, follow up
wildlife preserve?
Restoration proposal historic stairs,
Policy, standing rule motion/discussion
Jeanne asked if Griffith Park receives federal grant money loopholes that can force closure?
Film LA and RAP lack of supervision
Specific Plan development of guidelines
Celebrate 25 years Specific Plan , 2017
Event Jan. 22 author Steve Kemper will discuss Splendid Savage
Street meetings, Deronda, Beachwood, Mulholland
Dash bus, DOT
Legal actions, dates Ranch, HUBD
Letters written and sent: Charissa Barton, solar panels
Committee Reports:
President’s message/report, Wolfslair trail, graffiti, etc.,
Safety, Evacuation plan
Communications
Special Events
Zoning, Public Works
Beautification
Trademarks/merchandise
History,Archiving
Nominating committee
HUNC
Federation of Hillsides Canyons
City Hall actions/issues
Membership
Other
New Business
RAP Circulation Plan appeal
Sarajane motion: Ranch website
other
Adjourn






September 2016 Newsletter

  Posted by HHAdmin
  Leave a Comment

September, 2016  issue 9

A Memory of Fire

By Alexa A. Williams

It is a memory I will never forget. In May of 1961, preparing to be evacuated, our mother had us three kids sleeping on the living room floor where she could grab us in an instant and move. We could hear the sounds of Dad’s footsteps crunching on the gravel of the roof as he spent the night hosing it down. Outside the clerestory windows were the flames – lots of them and the air was thick with smoke. We were surrounded on three sides by fire and no one was sure that our home and those of our neighbors were going to make it. The Hollywoodland fire of 1961 destroyed twenty-four homes and spread from Cahuenga Peak to the Observatory, from Beachwood at Ledgewood over to Forest Lawn. The stables drove the horses down the middle of Beachwood to safety. Today that is not only a memory of a little kid’s scary night, but also a scenario I rehearse over and over in my head. Because it is going to happen again. Our neighborhood has become a recreation zone overflowing with visitors who have no idea and no care of the flammable nature of its existence. It is understandable if you are living on Pelham Place or Flagmoor Drive that this does not seem to affect you. But is does, because we are a neighborhood and we are in it together. Of course, you will really notice how it affects you some windy evening when a tourist at the Deronda viewpoint casually throws his cigarette into the brush.

The Millennial Project

By Scott Freeburg

Andrew Davis is a YouTube personality who posts videos on our neighborhood and the problems we face. His channel, The Millennial Project, began as what some considered an exposé on how rich entitled people impede poor entitled millennials by blocking access to The Sign. As Andrew chatted with our residents and dug further, he began to change his narrative. Recently, he posted interviews with longtime residents Sarajane Schwarz, Tony Fisch, & Christine O’Brien, each of whom gives information and history about this legendary neighborhood we call home. It just goes to show, rich or poor, young or old, none of us is a two-dimensional character, and that goes for Andrew too!

 

The Phantom Rest Stop

For those of you who do not live on Beachwood Dr. and are not out wandering in the middle of the night, on September 5, the third fifty-three foot tractor-trailer came up Beachwood Dr. The drivers are all following guidance from their trusty Qualcomm GPS taking them to a rest stop. This one managed to not take out any cars, but it does take an hour plus to get them turned around at the top.

 

Commercial Party Houses vs. Residents

Noise violations by houses hosting loud, late night parties have been a continual problem in our neighborhood. One house in the 3100 block of Hollyridge has logged over 21 police dispatches. Due to our location in the canyon, sound can travel long distances from the source. Per Los Angeles Ordinance 144.331, Chapter XI 111-116 “it shall be unlawful for any person to willfully make or continue, or cause to be made or continued, any loud, unnecessary, and unusual noise which disturbs the peace or quiet of any neighborhood”. The penalty for a citation can range from $250 to a $1,000 for multiple occurrences.

Dealing with a party house requires a multi-pronged approach. First, initiate a friendly conversation or send a letter to the offender. If this proves ineffective, or if there are repeated violations, escalate to the local police while carefully documenting the date and time of the violation(s).   The local numbers are 877-275-5273 for noise abatement or 213-972-2971 for the Wilcox LAPD station. Our local Police Chief, Officer Manny Sanchez, has been an extremely helpful resource in dealing with this party house. Several other local resources are also available. Reports can be filed at Los Angeles building and safety http://ladbs.org. Councilman Ryu is reportedly interested in further addressing the issue. If the offenders are renters, contact the owner of the house, as evidence of repeated violations provides legal grounds for eviction. Calls for service are public record and can be obtained from the LAPD discovery unit. As a last resort, the property owner can be sued in small claims court for either his / her actions or for the actions of his tenants. Let us stand together to end this disruptive behavior. If anyone has any further concerns or questions regarding noise disturbances, please contact the HHA.

How Do You Get To Hollywoodland?

 How to sign

The Friends of Griffith Park and the Griffith Park Advisory Board supported and approved this sign at the legal park entrance on Canyon Dr.  Recreation & Parks fabricated and erected it.  Note every hike is pushed into Hollywoodland except for hiking to the Observatory and the caves.

 

Impact on Real Estate

By Robert Louis

Every Hollywoodlander with a mailbox is kept up to date on area real estate sales through the weekly Realtor mailings featuring properties sold or listing all sales in the area for a given period.  What we’re not being told are the homes don’t sell or sell for far less than their original asking price.   These homes are almost exclusively located at the neighborhood flashpoints where even the most skilled sales person could not hide the impact from tourists.  Thankfully these instances are few but when they are alternatively turned into rentals or party houses there is an impact on neighbors and therefore, property values.

There are many buyers who realize the advantages of our area and are still willing to take a chance and join us.  Depending on the location, some of these people may not notice anything other than tourists standing in the middle of Beachwood Drive posing for photos while others may experience the full range of aggravation.

Hollywoodland residents looking to sell their home will have to keep potential buyers in mind when they sit down with their Realtor to complete the all-important seller disclosures.  Sellers have an ethical responsibility to disclose material facts about their home and the neighborhood.  Sellers, more consequently, have a legal obligation to disclose the same.  These disclosures also protect the seller, since what you’ve told a buyer (in writing!) is now known by the buyer and therefore becomes their responsibility.  People have different levels of annoyance with our situation and some, remarkably, aren’t bothered at all.  Nonetheless, the situation is now public knowledge so anyone in Hollywoodland thinking of selling their home will have to at least disclose to buyers the increase in tourist traffic due to the sign and encourage buyers to investigate the impact of this development on the home in question and the neighborhood they will be living in and driving through.

Toyon Canyon Idea

By Jack Conrad

To divert Hollywood Sign and Griffith Park tourist traffic out of residential areas on the south side of GP let’s take a serious look at this proposal http://hollywoodland.org/an-idea-for-potential-development-of-griffith-park/  I met with Joe Salaices of GP and he said he liked the idea but warned it would be opposed by organizations including Friends of GP, Sierra Club and organized bikers who use the road to Toyon Landfill. He agreed that if I could get a coalition of homeowners interested, it would carry weight in pushing the plan forward. I reached out to several of the surrounding HOA’s and got some interest. The Oaks responded with a ‘not interested at this time. They support the as of yet unfunded development at the Ford Theater view site. That’s where the recent fire began. Whitley not interested…they don’t feel they’re involved, although the Ford program could change that perception.

 

Meeting with CD4

By Laura Davis

On August 15, members of the HHA board met downtown with Councilmember David Ryu, CD4 chief of staff Sarah Dusseault, senior field deputy Catherine Landers, our new neighborhood prosecutor Steve Houchin, Griffith Park manager Joe Salaices and two members of the LAPD motorcycle patrol.   The board requested the meeting to talk about the safety measures, including an increased LAPD presence, being proposed by CD4 that many Hollywoodlanders perceive as well-meaning, but inadequate. We all agree that the police officers and cadets are doing their best, but made the point that the sheer number of hikers, selfie enthusiasts and motorists looking for a place to turn around or park is overwhelming the neighborhood and the officers.

Also discussed were the penalties meted out to the man who climbed the Hollywood sign last May including a $1,000 fine, an order to make restitution of several thousand dollars to the City agencies whose first responders were forced to waste time getting him down, probation and 30 days on a DOT clean-up crew. Perhaps worst of all for this self-described YouTube “star” is that CD4 did not issue a press release about the sanctions.

Going forward, we have requested monthly reports from CD4 with a breakdown of the number of citations issued for overweight vehicles, smoking in the park, moving violations that place other drivers and pedestrians at risk, and other offenses. We will publish the reports when we receive them.

We also requested that more be done to promote the eight official entrances into Griffith Park including nearby Bronson Canyon and the Mount Hollywood Trail.   Councilmember Ryu responded that residents close to those entrances may complain, but that seems to us to be missing the point since anyone who moves into those areas is well aware of the proximity of a park entrance.  By contrast, the Hollyridge trailhead was bulldozed into existence in the early aughts without benefit of environmental studies, permits or a poll of Hollywoodlanders.  All but our newer residents moved here unaware that the neighborhood would, in effect, be turned into a park without the infrastructure and facilities available to visitors at the eight official entrances. You can find a pictorial of the calm environment and available parking at the Bronson entrance at http://hollywoodland.org/look-at-all-the-space-in-the-bronson-parking-lot/

What can you do? Please write to Councilmember Ryu and tell him that our safety and quality of life mustn’t be sacrificed because larger voting blocs and special interest groups outside of Hollywoodland demand it.
Councilmember: – david.ryu@lacity.org

Chief of Staff: – sarah.dusseault@lacity.org

Senior field deputy: – catherine.landers@lacity.org

Neighborhood prosecutor: – steve.houchin@lacity.org

General Manager of Rec & Parks: = michael.a.shull@lacity.org

Superintendent of Rec & Parks Operations: joe.salaices@lacity.org

 

JOIN & SUPPORT THE HHA.      Membership $35.00 September-January 2017       Go to www.hollywoodland.org

 

……

 

!

 

 






August 9, 2016 Board Minutes

  Posted by HHAdmin
  Leave a Comment

HOLLYWOODLAND HOMEOWNER’S ASSOCIATION

AUGUST 9, 2016   BOARD MEETING

 

Call to order 7:29PM

 

Members present: Soren Kerk, Sarajane Schwartz, James Mykyfenko, Jeanne Clark, Alexa Williams, Scott Freeburg, Robert Louis, J.J. Blair, Chris O’Brien, Jack Conrad, Laura Davis

 

Members Absent: Tara Stephenson-Fong

 

Guests: Jim van Dusen

Approval of June minutes

Jack – 1st

Robert – 2nd

Unanimous approval

 

Approval of Treasurer’s report

Sarajane – 1st

Alexa – 2nd

Unanimous approval

 

Old Business

  • Crime Report – Lead Officer Sanchez will not get the stats until Thursday, August 11
  • Semi-Truck on Beachwood – Jack reported that a third tractor and fifty-three foot trailer came up Beachwood late at night in July. The driver was using Qualcomm GPS that stated that there was a rest stop at the top of Beachwood. The truck damaged a car at Belden before Jack was able to stop him. LAPD showed up and got the rig turned around. Jack obtained insurance and driver information, as well as contacted Qualcomm and told them to change the rest stop location on the map. They said that they would and there have been no semis since then. Chris made an inquiry with the LAPD who had no file on the incident so she asked for a formal request. Later, LAPD said there was a file. Jack and Chris sent a letter to CD4 to follow up.
  • The Hollywood Bowl noise complaint letter has been completed.
  • Chris is getting an electrical bid for the flooded conduit in the Village Green bed and a light in the west historical gate. She will generate spec sheets.
  • Village Camera – J.J. is getting two more bids.
  • Legal Action – The committee will put together a statement of support for the two lawsuits against the City asking that the Beachwood gate be closed. The ranch’s attorney is checking to see if they want donations. Sarajane will write a statement describing her lawsuit.
  • The excessive hotel building letter was completed.
  • 6068 Mulholland Construction – Michael Mekeel, Chris and Tara met with CD4 concerning egregious permitting errors by the Planning Department on the proposed residence. Ryu was very responsive and the permit has been revoked. Chris will write a thank you letter to Ryu.

 

Wildlife Preserve

Wildlife Preserve – The committee is actively looking for a biologist to help start documenting the Hollywoodland ecosystem, as well as reaching out to non-profits for assistance. The committee will set up fundraising and a resident has already offered a matching gift.

 

Safety

  • An email blast will be sent out with important contact information before Labor Day weekend.
  • James will circulate a “213” phone number for LAPD that he uses and has found effective.

Communications

Soren handed out packets concerning the September newsletter informing members what they are supposed to write and delivery maps.

 

Membership

  • Laura asked who is on the membership committee. Alexa will refer to the February minutes and report back to her.
  • An additional member was added last month.

 

Beautification

  • Robert requests that a Village Green Users Manual not be written until the electrical is fixed.
  • The historic stairways are in very bad shape and need critical repair. Neighborhood stair clean-ups do not work because no one shows up. It was suggested that CD4 use discretionary funds to repair the dangerous steps or close them off until they are fixed.
  • In 1992 the City did an awful job of repair, so it was suggested that the Board look into grants to get it done correctly.
  • Laura and Robert were appointed as the Stair Committee
  • Sarajane does not want the stairs repaired at all.

 

Nominating

Scott called Clarissa Troop and thanked her for running to fill the empty board seat.

 

Hillside Federation

No one attended the last meeting.

 

HUNC

Stopping the redevelopment of the Villa Carlotta into a hotel will, hopefully, slow the redevelopment march up Beachwood.

 

New Business

  • Chris would like to form a human chain of protestors from the Village to the top of Beachwood and invite the press. Several members felt that the press might be adverse to the cause.
  • Jeanne asked if Griffith Park receives federal grant money. If so, there are possible loopholes that can force the closing of the illegal entrances.
  • The Board needs to demand a community evacuation plan from LAFD. If they do not come up with one or if it is not adequate, it needs to be brought to the attention of Cal-Fire. Jeanne will write a letter to start the process. Laura will assist.
  • Tara and Laura are working on the agenda for the August 15 meeting with Ryu.
  • Chris and Michael Mekeel are working on guidelines for the Design Review Board.
  • An earthquake safety meeting has been postponed.
  • A homeowner on Pelham reports that a recent appraisal of his home is $300,00 less than it was two years ago. J.J. and James disagree with that statement.
  • Sarajane and J.J. will review the standing rules. It was requested to look into how letters and emails are reviewed and by whom.

 

Meeting adjourned: 9:04PM